Results from pull #3 and #4 (Should have taken a picture of #1 and #2 but oh well.)
This morning This evening
14 mins – total prep and clean-up 7-8 mins – basically the time to boil the water
Compare to images here: http://www.sweetmarias.com/espresso-crema.php
– Lowest "Fine" grind (same from first 2 extractions)
– Double shot basket
– barely has any crema at all, so not even on the chart.
– Middle setting between "Extra Fine" and "Fine"
– Single shot basket
– Light crema (the first image) = either I need finer grind or harder tamp. hopefully it’s not a matter of low temperature because sadly, that’s just the reality of the mypressi. I’m pre-heating 2 of 3 elements – filter handle and water bowl. I haven’t been preheating the filter basket but I might need to move towards doing that. It increases the potential of burning myself since I’d need to pick it up and place it into the filter handle. I’m doing a fresh boil after everything is assembled, so everything is almost as hot as it can possibly get.
A couple of things I learned / need to try out tomorrow:
- I’m filling too much water in the bowl
- I’m going to preheat the basket
- More careful measurement of coffee — 7 grams (1 tbsp) for single and 14 grams (2 tbsp) for double
- Need to practice teh 30-40lb tamp. I’m getting a clean, dry puck and a steady stream during extraction, so I think I’m tamping correctly, but I should probably use a scale and measure it
- I should start timing my extraction times to see if I’m in the 20-30 sec range – I think I’m in the neighborhood w/ #4.
Next opportunity for another trial run will be tomorrow am. I think I might be at the end of the life of one N2O cartridge… no way to tell though.